San Pasqual Battlefield State Historic Park honors the participants who fought in the 1846 Battle of San Pasqual, the bloodiest battle in California during the Mexican-American War, and the indigenous people who lived in the valley at that time.
The battle was fought between United States Army Dragoons under the command of General Stephen W. Kearny, and the Californio forces under the command of General Andres Pico on December 6, 1846. The San Pasqual Band of Kumayaay indians call the valley their home.
The State Historic Park is located at 15808 San Pasqual Valley Road in Escondido. The entrance is on California State Highway 78, East of Escondido, and 1.5 miles East of the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.
The Battle of San Pasqual, also spelled San Pascual, was a military encounter that occurred during the Mexican-American War in what is now the San Pasqual Valley community of the city of San Diego, California. On December 6 and December 7, 1846, General Stephen W. Kearny's US Army column, along with a smaller force of Marines, engaged a small contingent of Californios and their Presidial Lancers, led by Capt. Leonardo Cota; eventually joined by Major Andrés Pico. After US reinforcements arrived, Kearny's troops were able to reach San Diego.
The San Pasqual Battlefield Volunteer Association (SPBVA) is a community based organization affiliated with the San Pasqual Battlefield State Historic Park. The park’s mission is to interpret the Native American, Californio/Mexican, and American cultures as they were in the 1846-47 period. Through memberships, donations, bookstore sales, and fundraising, the SPBVA supports this important mission.
San Pasqual Battlefield Volunteers Association is an independent organization, with working relationships to the San Pasqual Battlefield State Historical Park, California State Parks, http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=655